Epoxy coating 2.0

Before I can go on and mount the rest of the aft parts, I needed to do some epoxy coating. There were three parts, the transom and two motor support parts, that needed coating on only one side and three other parts, the locker floors, on both sides. What I used to do on all parts that needed coating until now, was lay as many parts down on the work bench as possible and apply three layers of epoxy with approximately 3 to 4 hours of drying between them. That way it took me two days to have both sides of a part coated; only the top side can be coated and that layer needs to be dry before the part can be turned over to have the other side done.

Today I decided to hang the floor boards by a string on the tent’s roof structure, so I could get both sides done in one day.

The final result can only be judged tomorrow, but the coating itself was not as easy as doing flat lying parts. I did save some time, but the whole business of applying treacly epoxy to a rocking peace of wood was quite messy…

Advertenties

The aft part

Yesterday Roel and I mounted bulkhead nr. 2 and the under seat longitudinal bulkheads. After rejecting many other options to get the job done, I decided to with the tactic of applying epoxy glue to all joints and simultaneously put all three parts in place. That left us with approximately 15 minutes to fix all parts in their final place. The use of many clamps was planned, but along the way there was also the need for a rope and some wooden supports.

After removing the clamps today, I was satisfied with the result; it seems like bulkhead nr. 2 is straight and perpendicular to the backbone, and the longitudinal bulkheads are level. So I dry fitted the transom to see how it looks.

Before actually fitting the transom I’ll make the bevels for planking, and fix the locker floors.

Bulkheads

Today I had a few spare hours after work and used them to glue the bulkheads number 7 and 8 to the backbone.

Here the mounting of bulkhead nr. 8. Between this one and the stem there is one other station. A mould bulkhead will be temporarily mounted here to facilitate planking.

I used two spirit levels, a thin line and clamps to make sure the bulkhead is in the right position.

At the port side of the backbone there was space to make fillets. Once this batch of epoxy glue is cured the clamps on the starboard side can be removed, and I’ll make fillets on that side as well.

Boat on wheels

The job I took on today was to epoxy coat bulkhead nr. 2 and two pairs of longitudinal frames. As this needs to be done three times approximately 4 hours apart, I had time to work on mobilising the building frame. So here is the result of that;

I decided to go with the keep-it-simple solution and refrain from trying to make a smart lifting mechanism to put the frame on wheels. What I did was mount the wheels on wooden blocks that are just high enough to keep the frame’s legs at about 2 cm from the ground. To lift the frame up I simply took the car’s jack.

To attach the wheels I used clamps. If the frame proves to remain level on wheels, I might decide to permanently screw the wheels to the frame.

Then, there is another small time lapse for you; the first pictures are from the beginning of November. Events that might be seen in the film are the production of seat supports, dressing of the tent with bubble-film, a short storage of a Christmas tree in the tent and finally the mounting of the wheels. Thank you for watching, and all the best wishes for the festive season!

Bulkhead 2 and transom

During the past two weeks I spent the few hours I had to work on the tent’s insulation. Today I attached the last strip of bubble-plastic…..finally!

After that I could go back to working on the Ebihen again 😃

Here is the pre-assembled transom and bulkhead nr. 2. Before mounting them permanently I have to coat them in epoxy. And besides that the two layers that form the transom need to be glued together and beveled.

The battle on moisture

Didn’t have much time to work on the boat the past two weeks, but this weekend I found some time to work on the moisture problem. After some research on the net I decided to go with two measures; “insulating” the tent with a second layer and drying the air with a machine.

I found a cheap used air dryer and ordered some bubble-plastic. This is the result after a few hours of work;

I dressed the tent on the inside with lateral strokes of 1 meter wide bubble plastic. When the whole length of the tent is done I’ll join the strokes with some tape.

In the aft part of tent two more strokes are needed to cover roof and side walls. After that I’ll do the short sides.

The used air dryer. I’ve let it run some time and managed to drop the relative humidity a bit. Hopefully it will perform better once the bubble plastic is done….keep you posted!

Mounting the frames

Today I mounted three frames. The first one we did was frame #3 (Roel came over to give me a hand:-). To start off we made the plan; before final fitting a layer of epoxy coating was to be applied, then the epoxy glue. Then put the frame in place and check horizontal alignment, vertical alignment and finally lateral alignment. I planned to use a thin wire attached to the stem to check for perpendicularity, but it turned out that this method is best used as a last check for blunder-detection.

After we were satisfied with the fitting of frame #3, we decided to do frames #4 and #6 in one go. That way I’ll be able to fit the longitudinal part of the support frame, which would be very helpful when fitting half frames #5.

I used a clam to temporarily fit a piece of wood. That created a slot for a wedge used to fine tune the alignment

I used a clam to temporarily fit a piece of wood. That created a slot for a wedge used to fine tune the alignment. On the picture below you’ll see I’ve been experimenting with fillets. It seemed a good idea to make one on the reachable places to better fix the frame’s position.